A-line improv skirt

My sewing plans went awry this weekend. I thought I was going to work on my quilt, but instead I sewed a skirt. How do these things happen? In any case, I busted nearly two yards of Robert Kaufman Essex Linen from my stash, and ordered four yards of the fabric I needed for my quilt.

I’ll spare you the details of how I discovered that I couldn’t work on the quilt due to lack of supplies and how I had to pull out all of my pdf pattern mess to attempt to locate a skirt template and how I wasted time trying to locate my original skirtinspiration photo online to no avail. All of that was tedious, but in the end I started and finished my skirt over the weekend. To this, I declare victory!

My skirt templates included the Built by Wendy sewing essentials pattern and an RTW from Theory that has been a longtime favorite. My inspiration had fun side panel pockets, it may have been an Alder from Imagine Gnats. I attempted to figure it out using a wider front panel and smaller side panels in the front and a two panel back with darts and invisible zipper. I lined the pockets with an outrageous African wax print that was in a gifted scrap bag, because my inspiration skirt had the same style as both a pocket and hem binding.

  

(That’s my unfinished Camas blouse in the background. I need so solve a sleeve issue since I used a woven & complete the placket. I can’t decide on doing the fake placket or sticking to the pattern.)

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “A-line improv skirt

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s